Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: 9mm bullet opinions / experience  (Read 1293 times)

Rick R

• View Profile
9mm bullet opinions / experience
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:50:50 AM »
I have several hungry 9mm pistols with both cut and polygonal rifling.   I need a projectile for practice, local matches (IDPAish, 3 gun), Chipmunk Apocalypse, etc.  All pistols are newer production that feed hollowpoint ammo 100%.

I'm unable to decide between the SC357-135-RF and the 358-135-FN. Both are in stock in four cavity molds. I'm figuring gas checked with plain flat nose configuration.   I use a lubrisizer for my other bullets so I'll just need the appropriate sizing die and some gas checks...

Does anyone have an opinion as to which bullet will fit my needs better?

Onkel

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • SP & RN
    • View Profile
Re: 9mm bullet opinions / experience
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
I have, and like, them both.
Both work, but different pistols have different preferences. It is hard to say which will be better for you. Get them both and try them out :)
Btw I have them both in PB as well as GC, and GC wins hands down in my guns.

Rick R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
Thanks

I like the Ranchdog bullets but in this case I believe that the 358-135FN my be most likely to feed in everything due to its smaller meplat.

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
I use the new round nose HTC 9mm bullet for my plinking ammo, but I also use the TL357-135-RF too.  I've loaded up subsonic TL357-135-RF ammo which sounded great, but I've since switched to the 358-155-TC ELCO for my subsonic super heavies.  That 358-155-TC ELCO is a beast of a bullet in the 9mm, but works well.

Rick R

• View Profile
Holy Necropost Batman!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:52 AM »
I will never be accused of deciding too quickly but I don’t think I’ve ever dawdled a whole year before!  I ordered the five cavity SC357-135-RF cas check mold last Friday during the sale.  We’ll see how it does in our five different 9mm pistols (five different brands) with a mix of cut and polygonal rifling, and possibly my wife’s .38 snubby.

8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:41:05 AM by Rick R »

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:44:58 PM »
let us know your results!

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »
Here is a video I recently did on the 133 gr round nose bullet:

https://youtu.be/NokQLecbyAQ

Rick R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
Very kewl video! Wish I could move that fast. ;)

So you are using Unique and HP38?  I plan on trying Unique, W231 (same as HP38?) and BE86. 

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »
Yeah, with the 133 gr round nose, I use about 4.2gr of Unique which gets the bullets moving a little faster than the 3.5gr load of hp38/w231.

Very kewl video! Wish I could move that fast. ;)

So you are using Unique and HP38?  I plan on trying Unique, W231 (same as HP38?) and BE86.

Rick R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »
Well the mold arrived Monday.  I believe NOE is making them prettier and prettier. ;)
Cleaned them with Simple Green and a tooth brush , heat cycled them twice, lubed the appropriate points and made a hundred bullets with half COWW and half soft lead, water dropped them and they drop at .3585” and dead on 140gr with lube and gas check.  I sized them to .357” to start with.

I loaded up 35 with BE-86 and Unique, then headed to the range, testing was from the bench at 15 yards.  Loads with BE-86 were nothing to write home about, loads with Unique were outstanding in my Browning Hi Power, decent in the H&K VP9 and decent in the XDs.  This is the first time I tried cast in polygonal rifling.   No leading to speak of.  Rounds feed perfectly in all three guns.

I loaded up 25 more with 4.3gr Unique and made it back to the range. The Hi Power wants to put them into sub-inch groups I just need to do my part.   The other two pistols shoot more than adequately for IDPA, steel or practice. 

I also shot one of the 4.3gr Unique loads from the Hi Power into a row of seven gallon water jugs at 20 feet. It split the first three, punched thru the last four and bounced off an old body armor I use as a stopper.  The rifling doesn’t show any skidding and the bullet didn’t expand.

I believe this bullet will work for my needs.

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for posting your feedback.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference