Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: HTC358-154-RF-BW5 Load data help  (Read 744 times)

Killing Time

• Jeff
    • View Profile
HTC358-154-RF-BW5 Load data help
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
Has anyone developed an accurate load for this bullet yet for a Henry or Rossie.  I have been working on a load using universal and 38 brass. 4.4, 4.7 and 4.9 grains would not hold a pattern at 50 yards. No signs of pressure even though this is getting in upper +P pressure according to the books. Just seeing if anyone has already developed load data before i go on to using 357 brass. I was wanting a light load in 38 that i could use in both my rifle and 38 pistol with this mold. May need a different powder but i do not want to buy powder i do not need.  I have a HTC359-173-WFN 2 i want to work up in 357 brass for my Henry. Any data there would be welcome also. This will be my hunting load for this gun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:08:18 AM by Killing Time »

x101airborne

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
Re: HTC358-154-RF-BW5 Load data help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
I hope this helps, although my experiences are not  with your bullet or your specific brand of firearm.
I wanted a load for shooting gators out of my Marlin. Since 50 yard groups would be good enough, that was my testing distance.
I was getting quite frustrated till I did a pound cast and found I had a generously oversized throat.
I had to eventually use unsized brass and a bullet that was .003 larger that I thought needed for the cartridge. Without the grossly oversized bullet I was getting skidding for the first two to three inches and no accuracy what so ever.
Of course that may or may not be the case with your firearm, but it is what happened to me.
I hope this helps you have something else to try.
Happy Holidays!

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
I am working on the same thing right now, except I am using .357 brass.  I just got some "piles of projectiles" cast up and coated.  I need to size them and then start loading them up.  I was going to try 6 gr of Unique (one of my loads for a similar bullet).  For me, I'm not looking for the top accuracy for a single firearm, but more a general load that is decently accurate for a few of my .357's (revolvers and Rossi92).  As far as the HTC359-173-WFN bullet goes, I was shooting those with AA#9 powder.  *WITH THE DEEPEST HP* and weighing around 160gr, I settled on 12.6gr of AA#9 for about 1275 fps avg out of the revolver.  It was a GOOD milk jug exploder.  Recoil was like a magnum load.  The GP100 was eating them up nicely--as well as the Dan Wesson.  I was going to do a video on both of those bullets, but I need to get better shooting footage with the HTC359-173-WFN as well as shooting testing done for the HTC358-154-RF.  Also, what alloy are you using?

Has anyone developed an accurate load for this bullet yet for a Henry or Rossie.  I have been working on a load using universal and 38 brass. 4.4, 4.7 and 4.9 grains would not hold a pattern at 50 yards. No signs of pressure even though this is getting in upper +P pressure according to the books. Just seeing if anyone has already developed load data before i go on to using 357 brass. I was wanting a light load in 38 that i could use in both my rifle and 38 pistol with this mold. May need a different powder but i do not want to buy powder i do not need.  I have a HTC359-173-WFN 2 i want to work up in 357 brass for my Henry. Any data there would be welcome also. This will be my hunting load for this gun.

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
I also want to try a 15.5 w296 load and see how the bullet handles that.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference