Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Why do I need to expand gas checks?  (Read 1057 times)

MIEagle

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
Why do I need to expand gas checks?
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:23:46 AM »
I have the NOE 311-180 RF (GC) mould.  The gas checks are from Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.  Presently I bevel the bullet base with my thumb nail, set the GC on the RCBS .311 die and using the Lyman GC Seater. I center the bullet base on the GC and carefully operate the ram. Occasionally, I screw it up and have a reject. I have also tried seating the GC with the bullet nose first and base first through my Lee .311 push through sizer.  Neither works correctly. Am I doing something wrong?  The hardness of my lead is unknown, it's not soft, the ingots ring when they hit the cement floor. I'm trying to keep things simple.... Thank you.  (My next order is for the NOE push through die and bushings)

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I need to expand gas checks?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »
Check the shank size on your bullet and the gaschecks

List of Hornady and gator check sizes here: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Classics/Gascheck%20Shank%20Sizes%20and%20Diameters.pdf

It sounds as if you have a hard, high antimony bearing alloy which will give your bullets a greater over all diameter than a softer alloy

MIEagle

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I think the Bullet Swaging Supply will work fine. Being new at using gas checks, I didn't know how hard or easy this was supposed to be. Thanks. Tom

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
An alternative to expanding the gas checks would be to use the NOE gas check seating die.  I love using that little die to seat the checks on tighter fitting checks--and it does it very well, nice and square.  Remember it only seats the gas check--they still need to be crimped on.
I have the NOE 311-180 RF (GC) mould.  The gas checks are from Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.  Presently I bevel the bullet base with my thumb nail, set the GC on the RCBS .311 die and using the Lyman GC Seater. I center the bullet base on the GC and carefully operate the ram. Occasionally, I screw it up and have a reject. I have also tried seating the GC with the bullet nose first and base first through my Lee .311 push through sizer.  Neither works correctly. Am I doing something wrong?  The hardness of my lead is unknown, it's not soft, the ingots ring when they hit the cement floor. I'm trying to keep things simple.... Thank you.  (My next order is for the NOE push through die and bushings)

Thomas

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
Where in the catalog is the NOE gas check seating die? Cost?

Thanks!

Tom

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:45:11 PM by cornmastah »

boomer

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
I have my grandpas Lyman Mag20 melting pot, it was left 3/4 full of unknown lead mix. I cast 400 nice looking  180 gr Sil bullets for my 357 Max. But I am having trouble sizing them with a gas check. Some of the bullets get stuck in the sizing bushing. Might it be a lead mix that is to hard? I tried running a few through the bushing without the gas check, it was hard going on some of them but none stuck. I then ran them through again with the gas check in place, but instead of a flat gas check on the bullet, they are dish shaped once they come out of the sizing die. I planned on powder coating, if they are to o hard can I use them without a gas check and get no leading? My bushing is a .359 and the mold is a N.O.E. 4 cavity 180 gr RCBS Sil design.

torpedox64

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
Sounds to me that the diameter of the base is either casting large or your Gas Checks are too "thick" in the shoulders, and are haveing a hard time "swaging" together, or Dare I ask is it possible that these are "cheap" gas checks?
I ordered some for .411 in my TC Contender, and they where Cheap, but they turned out to be .429 [in a package marked.410/.416 and they did the same thing, super hard going through sizer .411, and had "dished" bottoms.  They were actually .429! They were Cheap, and still useful. But when I got the "Correct" GCs they went through smooth and trouble free with nice flat concentric bottoms.  As a side note, the twenty or so I ran through with the oversized GC, and the dished bases, shot as well, within my limits, as the ones with the proper cups.  But I shot all of those over a chrono, and w/o my notes, cant quote numbers, but the shells with the "cupped" bases had a much higher extreme spread and standard deviation.
I had Theorized that since the "cup" was not "Seated" against the base of the bullet, that upon firing, the cups were "Pressure" swaging into the base of the bullet, and were "yielding" at different pressures!  Hard to say at what point in the firing cycle weather the cups yielded "in the case" or engaging the rifling, or maybe some did and some didn't.
But it was interesting to me, and I measure all of my Gas Checks and bullet bases (as lots) and if anything "feels" sketchy back off, and check. I have found alot of weird stuff over the years!   Just last night I was priming 300 Blk and noticed strange "micro dents" in the primer faces, that looked like cracks.  I looked and didn't "see" anything on the primer ram, blew it out with a duster. They were still there, at first I thought "crap are these primers so hard they are cracking?"  But after a couple more, The pattern was the same on each primer. So I took the tool Apart and found a tiny flat sliver of brass embeded in the face of the ram. I had to scratch it off with my pocket knife to get it all off, almost as if it had somehow brazed itself to the ram. Polished it up, fine now.
Always keep an eye out for the odd!   A New Caseing with NO primer vent hole can ruin your day.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference