Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: High velocity powder coated bullets.  (Read 357 times)

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
High velocity powder coated bullets.
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:22:53 AM »
When the powder and epoxy coatings first came on the scene I experimented quiet a bit with them but found they gave me no benefit from Xlox coatings and were worse than grease groove lubed bullets at velocities over 1600 fps so for me there is no incentive to powder coat etc.

Powder coating has been on the scene for a few years now and it has been that long since I tried it so I am supposing that perhaps things have moved on somewhat so are there any people shooting coated cast at high velocity 2400 fps+ with accuracy?

If so what is your procedures for doing so?

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
Re: High velocity powder coated bullets.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »
I think the fastest I've pushed my PB powder coated bullets is about 2100-2200fps in a 30-06.  I am going to try to push some powder coated gas checked bullets a bit faster when I get the chance.
 Other people have pushed them faster.  Some people are using the static spray guns to coat the bullets, but most people are doing the shake and bake method (throwing the bullets in a plastic container, adding powder, and shaking them).  Then the opinions vary on what to do next.  Some people dump them out on silicon baking mats, others stand them up one at a time using forceps or tweezers, others dump them into wire mesh baskets, etc...  Then people bake the bullets either on a lower temperature for a longer time, or a higher temp (400*F) for only 10-12 min.  Some people then dump them into a water bucket to quench, other people let them sit and air cool.

Bryan Alder

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Ive pushed the 180 Ranchdog bullet for the 308 to 2600 fps. Right at MOA.  No special alloy just 50/50 COWW/pure +2%.  PC with Smokes powder.

Nrut

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:38:25 PM »
Bryan,
When I put my pretend and imagination in hi-gear & overdrive I can shoot the same bullet 50/50 + .2% cu, WD, TL 3X with BLL, 1/2 MOA clear to 300 yds (and back) @ 2800 fps all day long..
The rifle is an off the rack Ruger Amer. Compact, 18" barrel, 1:10 twist..
Top that!  ;D

Castpics and Reloader's Reference