Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: 459 mould size?  (Read 392 times)

762sultan

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Rugers and NOE moulds...made for each other!
    • View Profile
459 mould size?
« on: May 19, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »
I have just recently looked at the 459 500L  mould that is made on the  extra  large aluminum block. The bullet length is 1.410". I have signed up for the group buy for it . In looking at the other offerings in the web-store I saw the HTC 459-500 SP and it is made on the standard large block which is much smaller...also costs less. It's length is 1.325.  Is the bullet length the determining factor as to which size block is used? After using a extra large mould block I find I prefer it to the smaller block once it is brought up to temp as it makes a steady stream of near perfect bullets. Any chance of this block size being utilized in more offerings from NOE?

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
Re: 459 mould size?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:11:53 AM »
Yes, bullet length is the determining factor of whether the large or normal blocks are used.

AlvinYork

• Heroic slinger of lead balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
762sultan - Don't know if you own the original Lee 459-500 but they crammed two cavities into a standard 2 cavity mold. It's an amazing feat with barely enough aluminum to hold the whole thing together. I think one of the contributors to the original discussion brought up the fact that the bullets from this original mould would have nose issues because of excess heat not being dissipated quickly enough. So, IMHO, the bigger blocks are certainly warranted.

762sultan

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Rugers and NOE moulds...made for each other!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
I don't own that Lee mould but when I saw the GB for the NOE version was to be made on the xtra large blocks I knew that I had to have it. I have a 3 cavity NOE Postell mould with the xtra large blocks and really like it. It takes a while to get it hot but when it is, it makes a pile of perfect bullets.

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
I would agree though...  I would like some of the larger bullets offered in the larger blocks.  Big bullets in the standard blocks heat the molds up fast--and require cooling with a damp towel or sponge to cast at a faster pace.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference