Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: My results with the 250-34-RF so far  (Read 2218 times)

wayne52

• Use it or you'll loose it
    • View Profile
Re: My results with the 250-34-RF so far
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
The last time I ran these(yesterday), I adjusted the pin holders in the spot where I felt them touch the pin while holding the pin in place then just tighten them down in that spot, I had to tweak one a little bit after watching how they were opening up and all seemed good.  I cast about 150 with not many rejects, mostly when the mold wasn't quite up to temp.  I did shoot a group of 8 of these @20yds and they look really promising. I weighed a bunch of them and they were all close to 35 grains and non varying a lot. I think I got it figured out how to adjust them  now. No tin in the lead though, it's from lead pipe and part of a 5lb ingot I found in a farm field where there use to be a farm house.

wayne52

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
I'll be buying brass from now on, they're fantastic molds.
First run this morning and did a group of 8 with the pins that were installed already. I'm super happy with this brass one, it's an exceptional mold and drops the pellets beautifully.  All I did was clean it with dish soap and water rinsed in hot water then set it on the caster while the caster warmed up.

It's only a 20yard group but it tells me a lot.  There's no doubt in my mind these pellets will be accurate up to 50 yards which is further than I usually shoot anyway.

It sure is a whole heap better than that discontinued mold, I still need to bring that over to my brother and see what he can do with it as far a widening it out in the mid section to possibly make it not so nose heavy.

tnt76

• NOE VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 05:17:17 AM »
After tidying up my mold, adding a 1.5 degree leade to the marauder and casting in pure lead, my initial testing shows an average 50 meter group of around 1" , still with some less than perfect bases.  This is much better than the 6" groups prior.

KnifeMaker

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 05:06:47 AM »
While I can from time to time get a decent 50 yard group, it is not consistent. Shoots JSB's well, and have modded two bullet molds that do very well. JUst can't seem to get the pellets to shoot consistently. GRRRR!

Knife Wrong pic for this post. Sorry!For some reason, I cannot get this pic to post in the proper place. it is the 50 gr. NOE RanchDog I modded the mold for. this is at 80 yards, in left to right wind at 8-10 mph. It is showing better wind resistance, as expected than the JSB 34 gr, and better than the slightly heavier NOE cast pellets. Very happy with the results so far.

At 50 yards, it is printing at 1/2" in same wind. Shooting at 86 fpe right now. Tested at 83 fpe, from the Rainstorm with a 1 in 14 twist and choke removed, bore both hand  lapped and fire lapped.

KnifeMaker
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:46:54 PM by KnifeMaker »

KnifeMaker

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 02:41:21 AM »
Sortt off topic, but since these are NOE bullets,and half the industry calling our slugs for AirGuns Pellets, I thought I would post a pic, and a thread I answered on the GTA

The Rainstorm shot well, VERY well with JSB's but not so well with bullets. Once I found that the bbl. itself was very tight, ( bbl. .250/choke .251) I gathered up a bucket load of courage and cut and recrowned it.

The results were shocking. It went from a one holer at 36 yards with MK-II's to literally pellet size hole. All thru the pellet sized hole!

Bullets were very inconsistent with the choke. Regardless of sizing. Once the choke was removed, the groups were good. Not stellar, but good, with far less fillers.

I hand lapped the bbl. and the groups got better. But still not what they could be.

Late yesterday evening, I fire lapped the bbl. starting with 220 grit, followed by 360 grit, and finally 600 grit.
this is done by rubbing the oil mix of grit on a precision steel plate, and using a second steel plate, rolling the bullet between the two plates, which pressed the grit into the bearing surfaces of the bullet.

Proper way to use it is 10 shots with 220, 10-20 of 360, and finally 20+ of the 600 grit. I was very low on the grit, so 10 or 220, 15 of 360 and 15 of 600 grit were used.

The .25 Storm with bullets was a fine 36 yard performer, and fair 50 yard performer, but not so good at 80 yards.

Today, the test shows it is now a Squirrel Killer at 80 yards. Success at last!

Used a 1" target dot on my range, and the first NOE modded Ranch Dog, 50 grain bullet went exactly thru the tiny bulls eye of the target. Followed by two more tightly touching. Final two strung to the right. My bad, Seems I am too anxious to wait for the gust of wind to settle. GRRRR!

So here is something to think about. Choke at 80 yards, 8-9 inch groups. No choke ,2-3" groups. Hand lapped, 2 to 1/2" groups. Fire Lapped, under an inch at the same distance, same bullets.

Pictured is six shots of the 50 grainers, at apx 740 fps. ( Just received new hammer springs from Oneshot and the velocity jumped to 880 fps at lowest setting of adjustment  from hammer spring screw). Have not tested accuracy yet with higher velocity. The bbl. is one in 14 twist, so should get even better with speed. FPPE jumped from 63-64 fpe to 86 fpe with nothing more than s simple spring change, Thanks to Oneshot. 8)

Knife 8)
Six Shots from magazine, first two thru the tiny bullseye at 80 yards. 6-8 SW Wind from left to right, with gust to 10-11 mph.   

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:43:10 AM by KnifeMaker »

KnifeMaker

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 02:47:13 AM »
Pic of bullet test today.

wayne52

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:13 AM »
On my next run with this mold I'm going leave the pins the way they are because in my last casting session with it there were a good number of pellets that came out as near to perfect as a person could expect, one thing I'll do different is collect 5 pellets each doing a single cavity at a time, then maybe I'll do some more tweeking on them and get them all as close to matching as possible.

For me the ideal weight has been from 34.40 grains up to 34.60 with most of them being real close to 34.5 grains. The lead I have been using is from a split pig ingot I got from Rotometals which is 99.9% pure lead.

The gun I've been shooting them from is a DAR25 (Dynamic Air Rifles)which is fresh out on the market, it's regulated and my first 6 shots with it are regulated right now at about 62fpe with the 35.5 grainers.  I might add if anyone is thinking about checking into one of these guns be ready to do some tinkering because right now they gotta have it.

The same day I did the group I did manage to get a red squirrel with it.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference