Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Crimping tool for 223-38-RN Hill (For .22 LR Reloading)  (Read 565 times)

AlvinYork

• Heroic slinger of lead balls
    • View Profile
Crimping tool for 223-38-RN Hill (For .22 LR Reloading)
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
Thought I'd start  a topic for this. I'm pretty sure Dromia's interested in this. I certainly am.
I was thinking about what form this tool might take. I suppose  it could be like pliers or a die of some kind one could put into a press.
Anybody else interested?

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
Re: Crimping tool for 223-38-RN Hill (For .22 LR Reloading)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
I know Al was looking into this to go with the bullet but haven't had an update on it.

Crimping is crucial to .22 reloading and being a heeled bullet design needs its own form. The .22 reloading kits have it as part of the tong mould they supply. these kits are good enough for a bit plinking but have their limitations when it comes to working up target loads not least in the bullet quality department. Old West Bullet moulds do a crimping die for 22 rim fire, I have one on order but will be two to three weeks afore I get my mitts on it.

SwedeNelson

• Administrator
  • Bullet maker, maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:41:04 PM »
I have looked at the tong tool and like Dromia has said it is marginal.
Would like to make a good crimp die and shell holder for a press.
Still working on it.

Bullet maker, maker
Al Nelson

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
Way to go Al. :)

david

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
I would be interested in a proper crimping tool. In the mean time dromia have you considered crimping with a .225 bullet sizing die? I haven't tried this personally as I've not done any rimfirer reloading yet. But it may work.

AlvinYork

• Heroic slinger of lead balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
Not much activity here, don't want this post to get too stale.
I saw Dromia's post about another bullet crimping die for the 22LR and thought I'd get one myself for comparison purposes once ours comes out. Took a while to get it as my post office sent it back saying "Moved. Left no return Address" meanwhile that very day they delivered two other packages. Go figure.
I was a little exasperated by the die. It's a Lee crimp die. The custom piece is a brass shellholder with an elongated stem instead of a rim slot. so you push the 22 up into the die on your press and it seals the brass on the heel. Just got it the other day (after it was resent) so I haven't used it yet.

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
Indeed it is a Lee crimp die and I'm not convinced that it is the right size diameter, seems too big, I tried a .22 Hornet crimp die and it seemed a tad better still it is a Lee product so QC isn't there you may be lucky in getting the right size or you may not. The adjustable shell holder stem that comes with it is dead handy tough, I've been hand loading .22WMR and 17 HMR not needing a heeled bullet the crimp is of no importance as I am getting good bullet retention on the once fired cases. I got a friend to make me one of those adjustable stems to fit the slightly larger magnum cases so the .22 Hornet seating dies can be used, Been getting some good results to date but the priming compound seems a tad inconsistent with around 20% FTF, I am speaking with the company at present so we will see if that provides any meaningful insight. In the interim I am working on weighing the mixes for better consistency the problem being you are working with such small values, once a consistent mix is found then putting up bigger batches will be easier but when testing you only want small trial amounts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:06:16 PM by dromia »

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:07:18 AM »
I would be interested in a proper crimping tool. In the mean time dromia have you considered crimping with a .225 bullet sizing die? I haven't tried this personally as I've not done any rimfirer reloading yet. But it may work.

Won't work on the .22 LR rimfire as it uses a heeled bullet such a die will just size down the bullet.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference