Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: NOE 311-230 GC 30-378 Weatherby for "Reduced" Long Range?  (Read 82 times)

torpedox64

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
NOE 311-230 GC 30-378 Weatherby for "Reduced" Long Range?
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:46:42 AM »
Well the title kinda spells out the basic Question. Hard Cast water drop "Wheel Weight" Teflon based "High tech" spray coated oven bake 450° 15 min water drop. Copper Gas Check!  Weatherby 30-378 Wby Mag Cases.
Ok,,,,,,, I have the bullets Cast, sized .310 with gas checks Preped as described above. What I need is  Load / Powder suggestions. I would like to get between 2,300 Fps to 2,500 Fps range with this bullet, But this is a Huge Case, and I believe this would be a great med/ long range Practice Bullet. The Manufacturer of the spray coating guaranteed me that it would not "Lead" the Rifling as long as the Rifling didn't "Strip" the bullet!
So I'm looking for a starting place, with this idea, because there has to be a way to make a "cheaper" mousetrap! 500- 800 yd targets and steel.  The thing is, I want to shoot this Rifle more, but $4.00 /$8.00 ea. Is Tough! If I can Cast for this Monster of an over/under bore wharever term you prefer,  that would save a ton of money!
In the "Old Days" we used to stuff oatmeal, or dacron "Filling" to make "Reduced" loads, and Yes I realize the Dangers of many Powders in reduced loads, but to be honest, I "Could"  probably fill a case with Trailboss,,compress it in, and it will probably shoot ok ( but there has to be a better way,  I was thinking a powder between Reloader 17 and 25?
Too fast, too Slow?  Ideas?  I have a bunch of Accurate Arms 4350 that I would love to use up!  Thanks!
This Rifle really likes 220 grain Hornady ELD over 101.5gn BMG50 powder, bullet length, magazine clearance. ( Really long throat in the Wby)  3,070 fps avg.  15ft from Muzzle!  Sandbags on Chrono tripod to keep it from blowing over! (Pretty flimsy I must confess)
Over the last 30 Years + I Have done my share of Load development, and testing, but This Girl IS NEW TO ME!     
  Ok I'll Shut up now.
I can add pictures if this goes anywhere.    THANKS!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:19:59 AM by torpedox64 »

torpedox64

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
Re: NOE 311-230 GC 30-378 Weatherby for "Reduced" Long Range?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 11:47:50 PM »
Nobody?  ??? 
Any Input or opinion is welcome!  Just trying to kick ideas around.  I guess I will try some "slightly" reduced "start" loads, for bullets of maching weight, and see how it goes.  My "ultimate" result would be 180 Grain, 30-06 Velocities (2750 fps or lower), from this 230 Grain pill!  I know thats fast for cast, but I'm too interested, to NOT try. And I am certain that pressures wont be nearly as high as with jacketed, and My guess is that its going to produce an awesome muzzle flash, because it will Not be able to build enough internal pressure to burn All that powder!
Any opinions as to Powder selection, (known dangerous powders in underload ect.) [ie. W296 and H110 are Not suited for REDUCED loads in the .44 Mag!]
Just looking for feedback, even if to tell me I'm a Fool, or going to blow myself up or Anything, but Please Explain Why.
Thanks!

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
Re: NOE 311-230 GC 30-378 Weatherby for "Reduced" Long Range?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
I wonder if A5744 would be a good powder to use.  I've used it in my 45-70's and 30-06 before.  It is a powder that doesn't mind a bit of air space in the case and doesn't require the use of fillers.  I haven't played with the 30-378W cartridge before, but I think you could probably accomplish the same thing with cast bullets in a 30-06.

Well the title kinda spells out the basic Question. Hard Cast water drop "Wheel Weight" Teflon based "High tech" spray coated oven bake 450° 15 min water drop. Copper Gas Check!  Weatherby 30-378 Wby Mag Cases.
Ok,,,,,,, I have the bullets Cast, sized .310 with gas checks Preped as described above. What I need is  Load / Powder suggestions. I would like to get between 2,300 Fps to 2,500 Fps range with this bullet, But this is a Huge Case, and I believe this would be a great med/ long range Practice Bullet. The Manufacturer of the spray coating guaranteed me that it would not "Lead" the Rifling as long as the Rifling didn't "Strip" the bullet!
So I'm looking for a starting place, with this idea, because there has to be a way to make a "cheaper" mousetrap! 500- 800 yd targets and steel.  The thing is, I want to shoot this Rifle more, but $4.00 /$8.00 ea. Is Tough! If I can Cast for this Monster of an over/under bore wharever term you prefer,  that would save a ton of money!
In the "Old Days" we used to stuff oatmeal, or dacron "Filling" to make "Reduced" loads, and Yes I realize the Dangers of many Powders in reduced loads, but to be honest, I "Could"  probably fill a case with Trailboss,,compress it in, and it will probably shoot ok ( but there has to be a better way,  I was thinking a powder between Reloader 17 and 25?
Too fast, too Slow?  Ideas?  I have a bunch of Accurate Arms 4350 that I would love to use up!  Thanks!
This Rifle really likes 220 grain Hornady ELD over 101.5gn BMG50 powder, bullet length, magazine clearance. ( Really long throat in the Wby)  3,070 fps avg.  15ft from Muzzle!  Sandbags on Chrono tripod to keep it from blowing over! (Pretty flimsy I must confess)
Over the last 30 Years + I Have done my share of Load development, and testing, but This Girl IS NEW TO ME!     
  Ok I'll Shut up now.
I can add pictures if this goes anywhere.    THANKS!

Castpics and Reloader's Reference