Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Follow on to "Expander plug refinement."  (Read 314 times)

AlvinYork

• Heroic slinger of lead balls
    • View Profile
Follow on to "Expander plug refinement."
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
I've been doing a lot of reloading lately and I find that the mouth expanders do seem to form a flare quite quickly into a cup like shape. This reminded me of dromia's post from last September and how he described the issue (http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2650.0.html). I would have appended to that thread but it told me it was older than 120 days and I should start a new one (blatant age discrimination!  ;D). Dromia seems to use a two step approach to fix this by following the expander step with the Lee universal expander to straighten out the round. My own approach is to fiddle around with the thing until it forms just the right flare. So perhaps there is something that can be done regarding this? I'm going to take one of my spare expanders and throw it in the lathe to see if I can just remove that roundness so that the flare forms at a straight, rather than rounded, angle.

AlvinYork

• View Profile
Re: Follow on to "Expander plug refinement."
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
Slow going on this. I ordered some expanders to experiment on the other day and should have them today or tomorrow. Results to follow.

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
Look forward to your results.

Shame NOE didn't see any merit in the "improvement" maybe not cost effective.

AlvinYork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
Just to update, I'll try to get photos up later, the "round" portion was cut away leaving a  roughly 30 degree "ramp" and, indeed, the result is a much better mouth opening. I know I need pictures and I'll get them here ASAP.

AlvinYork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
Here's  some pics, I  think. They don't show up in the preview so I'm hoping they appear in the post. If they do, they should show the difference between the cases flared with the noe expander with and without the modification.. I should also have some pictures  of the expanders themselves.  So, IMHO, the modified expander lets one set up a little quicker than the stock version.
Looks like they didn't post, operator error, I'm sure. I'll have to try again later.
Ok, second try
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:45:51 AM by AlvinYork »

AlvinYork

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »
There ya go!
I'm showing the two cases side by side, the two expander plugs and finally two cases the bullets hand set with zero insertion force (well almost zero anyway).

dromia

• Administrator
  • Sans Peur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 03:38:15 AM »
You are a very lucky man to have the skills and equipment to alter the expanders thus.

If I had those skills then I would do it to all my expanders.

AlvinYork

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 01:10:01 PM »
Thanks.
I probably will convert them as I use them. It would save time during the "expander die adjustment phase". Unless NOE decides to sell similar items. Then I'll buy those and have the others as spares!

Castpics and Reloader's Reference