Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Ranchdog 9MM  (Read 15875 times)

azrednek

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
Ranchdog 9MM
« on: May 31, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC357135RF/bullet/sketch.jpg

Wondering if I could generate enough interest in Ranchdog's gas checked 9MM. I had one of the Ranchdog molds but apparently left it behind in a hasty departure prior to a divorce.

Sized at 357 for 9MM and at 358 it worked simply delightful in my Puma Rossi lever action 38/357. I ordered one just prior to the demise of Ranchdog but was to late as they were all gone. I tried to fill the gap with RCBS's gas checked 9MM mold and was some what disappointed in the results. Although the shot to shot accuracy with the RCBS is simply OK it did not perform as well as Ranchdog's on paper but does cycle ok in my Rossi lever action.

I shot the Ranchdog version with and without the gas check. Although the gas check is not really need for normal 9MM velocities. Addition of the gas check dramatically improved the shot to shot accuracy in some old war horses. In particular 2, P-38's and a shooting buds Spanish 9's. One was an Astra, the other I just can't recall the oddball name, it was some what of a 1911 look-alike without a grip safety.

I was on the verge of loading some super hot, gas checked 9's for my Ruger Convertible's 9MM cylinder but was unable to complete the project. 

SwedeNelson

• Administrator
  • Bullet maker, maker
    • View Profile
Re: Ranchdog 9MM
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Welcome to our forum!

Lets get some interest and run them
Can do TL and conventional lube grooves along with PB and GC

Bullet maker, maker
Al Nelson
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:31:21 AM by SwedeNelson »

Old Scribe

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
I would like to try this mould.  I have 2 9mm moulds and a differant configuration interests me.

historicfirearms

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
I've got an original Ranch Dog six cavity of this boolit and it is a great design.  Mine is gas checked but I shoot them in 9mm without a check and have no problems.  Shoot them in 357 with a check and its very accurate, one of my favorite boolits. 

I would like to get a plain base version.

mriman

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Can I see a drawing? Could jump on board
MRIMAN
MI

fourwinds

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
Would be interested in this design.

Wonder what a hollowpoint version would look like/weigh?

dkf

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
Add me to the interested list.

An RG4 gas check that drops .360" would suit me.

Ranch Dog

• Administrator
  • The "Dog"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
This is a great 9mm Luger bullet. Most people don't seem to want a gas checked 9mm bullet but I consider it a must. Not because of velocity but because the 9mm Luger is a high pressure cartridge (35.0 KPSI) and to take advantage of it, you need to load to it or all you have is a 380 Auto.

Originally, in designation I referred to the front band diameter (thus TLC356-135-RF) but later I standardized all my designs by referring to the great body diameter of the bullet, hence; the name change.

I only have one 9mm Luger pistol now, a Taurus Millennium Pro PT111, which I shoot extensively. The Taurus has a fat chamber so I do not size the bullet at all. I seat a Hornady 35 caliber gas check with a Lee 359" push through sizer, passing the bullet through the die base first.

When shooting steel targets with the 9mm Luger, there are issues with the typical 115-124 grain offerings while competing against the 40 S&Ws and 45 ACPs  One training facility I attend requires factory ammo with jacketed bullets so I switched to 147-grain bullets and it eliminated the steel not dropping with less than optimal on target hits. A 40 S&W or 45 ACP could gain no advantage now other than through the accuracy of the individual shooters.

When I went to design the bullet, something in the 147-grain lead just wasn't working and optimum was at 135-grains. I have no doubt in the ability of the bullet in self defense shooting. I have killed a number of "man" size feral hogs with shots through the rib cage, behind the shoulder and the bullet does what it was intended to do.

dkf

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Someone sent me a 100 or so of these bullets to try. I would use them in .357sig and they seat nice in .357sig with good neck tension. The sample boolits I got unsized only drop at .357" and I could use a little larger diameter. Maybe the run could be cut for gator checks?

wrench

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »
I'd be in for a pb version 8)

TXGunNut

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Fat Boolit Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »
There's been some discussion over on CB about this mould.

Ranch Dog

• Administrator
  • The "Dog"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:08 AM »
I couldn't find the topic or at least one more recent than 2 years ago. Whatever the interest, may be it would move here so NOE will tool up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:51:41 AM by Ranch Dog »

dkf

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
I couldn't find the topic or at least one more recent than 2 years ago. Whatever the interest, may be it would move here so NOE will tool up.

The discussion was in non related threads.

TXGunNut

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Fat Boolit Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »

One was on a thread I started about your recent efforts, seems it popped up on another thread as well. Pretty sure I don't own a 9mm at the moment so wasn't terribly interested.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?265986-NEW-Ranch-Dog-Moulds

goodalloy

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
I would be good for an rg4 in this design. But would want standard lube groves not the small tumble lube ones.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference