Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: 269-163-RN-W6  (Read 6183 times)

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
Re: 269-163-RN-W6
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2021, 07:51:36 PM »
It says 123gr in one place and 139gr in others.  Hard to say what I will get, but there is nothing else available anywhere at any price that I've been able to find.

I realize that 123gr is not ideal, but I'm not going to be using this rifle for hunting or matches, so being able to get a bang out of a so far unutilized rifle is better than nothing.

I shoot a lot of corrosive milsurp ammo with both Berdan and Boxer primers, so I am familiar with the cleaning process needed.  The Berdan primers I have are recent production and non-corrosive.  Mostly Norma, Wolf and Tulammo.

I have Boxer brass for 6.5x52 Carcano that was converted from .257 Roberts that I bought from Buffalo Arms.  I don't have any Berdan brass for this cartridge, the Berdan brass I have is mostly for 7.62x54R, 8x57 Mauser and 7.62x39 or some fairly obscure obsolete other ones.  I've seen methods for converting brass from Berdan to Boxer, and it seems like as much or more trouble than just dealing with Berdan primers, which I already have.  I understand the issues with corrosive salts inside the brass, but I've honestly never had a big problem with it.  A lot of the milsurp ammo I have is 50+ years old, but I tend to reload it fairly quickly once it has been shot, and I'm guessing that once reloaded and the case is mostly filled with powder and sealed with a bullet, that corrosion isn't that big of a problem.  I also tumble my brass after firing so maybe that helps too, although I am not sure how much media actually gets down inside bottleneck cases.

The ammo arrived today.  123gr.  Probably won't have great accuracy, but it is properly headstamped brass for 6.5x52 Carcano.  And at least it is something to make sure my Carcano operates correctly.  Once I get my bullet mold I can load it up with some better weight and profile bullets.

Mike B.

• Cast Bullet Shooter - NRA Benefactor - $1000 Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »
Ok
I hope that those interested in the 269-163 bullet moulds see those moulds come to fruition in the near future.
Take Care & Stay Safe...

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »
Any word yet?

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »
softwarejanitor,
Sorry No...
Nothing that I can see... nor have heard from NOE proper ... via inventory updates ...
Most every movement that can potentially be tracked as movement on the store forum, has been in mould handles and sizing die sets...
There are a plethora of inventory mould requests that I have tracked in the last several weeks ... but nothing seems to be showing up in the store forum... except as noted above...
One can only guess everyone is getting their handles up front in anticipation of requested inventory and group buy new mould runs being forthcoming...
Getting what they can... while they can...
Hopefully in the next little bit or so we will hear from NOE... down the line...
The world is starting to open up again a bit...
One can only at this point wait... in anticipation...
Take Care, & Stay Safe...

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2021, 06:58:31 AM »
There now appears to be some in stock 269-163 RN in stock as of this AM ...  6-29-21

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/264-6-5mm/269-163-rn-w6/

Get them while they are available.

fleetmat

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:34 AM »
Thanks Mike B for the notice.  I just placed my order.  😄

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »
Thanks Mike B for the notice.  I just placed my order.  😄

I also placed an order this morning.

Thanks to Mike B for helping drive this forward!

Schofield

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
Also placed my order. I'm glad that we were all able to generate enough interest to make it a viable run and thanks to Mike for keeping up moving forward. Now we can get our carcano's up and running.

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »
Also placed my order. I'm glad that we were all able to generate enough interest to make it a viable run and thanks to Mike for keeping up moving forward. Now we can get our carcano's up and running.

Yes, I am really excited to cast some bullets and load up some cartridges!

wcn2018

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
Ordered mine yesterday after getting that personal message from Mike. NOE says shipped out today. Great stuff! Thanks a bunch for being on top of things Mike; I feel like this wouldn't have happened without you. shoutout to Mike!

On another topic, who all would be interested in starting a companion thread on using this mold and loading for 6.5 carc? Maybe here, maybe on castboolits, or wherever it makes the most sense. I feel like almost everyone is planning on putting them through m91 carcanos so our experiences should be useful for each other. Or we can just use this thread.

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2021, 12:02:32 PM »
Ordered mine yesterday after getting that personal message from Mike. NOE says shipped out today. Great stuff! Thanks a bunch for being on top of things Mike; I feel like this wouldn't have happened without you. shoutout to Mike!

On another topic, who all would be interested in starting a companion thread on using this mold and loading for 6.5 carc? Maybe here, maybe on castboolits, or wherever it makes the most sense. I feel like almost everyone is planning on putting them through m91 carcanos so our experiences should be useful for each other. Or we can just use this thread.

I agree, Mike has been NOE's best salesperson on this thread!

I also got my tracking number today, so I would expect that within a week I should have my bullet mold in hand!

As for a thread on castboolits or wherever, you got a big YES from me!

I've got gas checks I will be using, and I am planning to powder coat.  My intent is probably to use IMR 4895, as that is my "go to" powder for mid size rifle cartridges, although I do have some others on hand that might also work such as Hodgdon BL-C(2), IMR 3031, etc.  Primers will be either CCI or Winchester.  I have 50 new brass cases I bought from Buffalo Arms that were formed from .257 Roberts and I have 20 rounds of commercial ammo (with probably undersized bullets and less than optimal weight and bullet shape for an 1891 Carcano -- but they were all that was available).  I'll shoot the commercial ammo and reload those cases too.

For dies I have a set of Lee Pacesetter that I overpaid for on eBay (looked for a long time to even find those).  I'll be loading on a single stage press, probably my Lee Classic Cast, as that is what I usually use for small volume runs of rifle ammo.

I don't plan on any max loads or anything like that.  Probably near starting level loads, whatever it takes to get reasonable accuracy.  I'm not planning on hunting with this rifle, and with iron sights I expect most of my shooting to be at 25 or 50 yards, although I will try it at 100 just for fun too.

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2021, 06:16:10 AM »
Thanks guys...
I'm not a salesman for NOE...

I'm just a fellow member who enjoys shooting who tries to help in any way he can.
Ive been shooting for years and have a goodly number of moulds & load data in my war bag...

I already had the GC version of the 269-163 that I bought when this mould was first offered.
I just bought the PB version so that I could potentially save on GC costs... when loading with Trail Boss and staying below 1600 FPS..., & wanted to try to help you get your GC versions to feed your hungry Carcanos.

Your go to powder will of 4895 will only give you at best around an 85% burn in a 21 inch Carcano barrel... in the load areas that you refer to in your last reply...

I try to tailor my loads to get very close to... if not a 100% burn... prediction... Your call on that... account with powder being scarcer than hens teeth these days...

You also may find that the bore dimensions vary a good bit in your individual Carcano rifles ... so slugging your barrel to determine what the best final cast sizing die may be in order to match your particulars rifle bore...

Powder coating will most probably add at least .001 to .002 to your as cast bore diameters... Your actual alloy and composition, & melt temperature will also tend to vary the final cast bullet weight that your moulds will throw... so the proper sizing will tend to help with your group accuracy... plinking or otherwise...

If you want load data we may have to talk via email as the NOE PM's do not allow for attachments...

Public forums data tends to be interpreted in ways that one cannot control. False conclusions tend to lead to issues... due to misinterpretations ... of load combinations listed...

Educated predictions of safer combinations can be much safer in the long run...
Take Care & Stay Safe...
Mike B.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:20:43 AM by Mike B. »

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »
Thanks guys...
I'm not a salesman for NOE...

I didn't mean you are literally a salesperson, just that your pushing this thread forward has certainly helped a lot of us get the moulds and sizing dies we needed.  I am guessing a number of us probably would have given up otherwise.

I'm just a fellow member who enjoys shooting who tries to help in any way he can.
Ive been shooting for years and have a goodly number of moulds & load data in my war bag...

Your help has been greatly appreciated! 

I already had the GC version of the 269-163 that I bought when this mould was first offered.
I just bought the PB version so that I could potentially save on GC costs... when loading with Trail Boss and staying below 1600 FPS..., & wanted to try to help you get your GC versions to feed your hungry Carcanos.

I've never used Trail Boss in a rifle, although I've heard a lot of people do.  I use it for loads for a number of old revolvers that I have.

Your go to powder will of 4895 will only give you at best around an 85% burn in a 21 inch Carcano barrel... in the load areas that you refer to in your last reply...

I've got the long 1891 Carcano rifle, not the shorter 91/38 carbine  I haven't measured it but my barrel is supposed to be 30.7" according to what I find online and that looks about right by eyeball.  So hopefully it should do a little better at fully burning IMR 4895.

I try to tailor my loads to get very close to... if not a 100% burn... prediction... Your call on that... account with powder being scarcer than hens teeth these days...

One reason for me looking to use IMR 4895 is I have a couple of 8lb jugs on hand.  Other powders I have like IMR 3031,IMR 4064, H4198, etc, I have a pound bottle or less of most of them.  Maybe 1-1/2 to 2 at most.

You also may find that the bore dimensions vary a good bit in your individual Carcano rifles ... so slugging your barrel to determine what the best final cast sizing die may be in order to match your particulars rifle bore...

I plan on doing that. I did receive my bullet mould and sizing die kit...  then realized unlike that brand that shall not be named here...  NOE bullet mould handles are sold separately...  And none of my other brand mould handles will fit because I ordered the 5 cavity 269-163-RN-W6 mold...  and all my other moulds are 2 cavity.  So waiting on a mould handle order now.

I have a couple different batches of lead ingots that I bought, so I will probably try some different ones to see which one works best.  I will measure the cast bullets with a caliper before and after powder coating and sizing of course.

Powder coating will most probably add at least .001 to .002 to your as cast bore diameters... Your actual alloy and composition, & melt temperature will also tend to vary the final cast bullet weight that your moulds will throw... so the proper sizing will tend to help with your group accuracy... plinking or otherwise...

If you want load data we may have to talk via email as the NOE PM's do not allow for attachments...

Public forums data tends to be interpreted in ways that one cannot control. False conclusions tend to lead to issues... due to misinterpretations ... of load combinations listed...

Educated predictions of safer combinations can be much safer in the long run...
Take Care & Stay Safe...
Mike B.

I can't speak for other people on the thread.  I'm new to bullet casting, but not to reloading or working up loads from (more or less) scratch.  Others may be more or less advanced than I however.

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2021, 09:28:54 PM »
softwarejanitor

You can indeed try shooting the GC version sans the GC... Personally everyone that I know who has ever tried it has not had much luck with that accuracy wise...  Any casting imperfections on the base of the cast bullet or around the GC shank where it meets the body diameter apparently to tend to accentuate the inaccuracy issue by venting the explosive gas nano seconds before the rest of the bullets body leaves the barrel crown ... It's why jacketed boat tails are swaged to be very uniform around the boat tail dimension... The further away the target is the wider the dispersion... maybe close distances only is the answer here for plinking purposes?

Your Call on trying that that though... It will be interesting to see your reported results down the line.

Since you have said that your were fairly new to rolling your own cast bullets you may also need to know that most all of the liquid lubes tend to take several days to dry thoroughly on the cast bullet even when used extremely sparingly... I tend to wait about 3 days before final sizing to ensure that the liquid lube is really dry... But that is just me...
Maybe you will have better luck in that endeavor...

Also powder coating needs to really be baked on properly... there are a goodly number of good & decent videos on the subject... Please do not ask me to recommend any shake & bake videos ...

What you may or may not note is the fact that most all of the videos are most commonly now using small kitchen toaster ovens, which really only can apparently properly do about 25 to 30 powder coated individual bullets at one time in one batch... @ I believe ~ 350 degrees F ... for at least 20 minutes.  Much like a batch of cookies ... Much higher and the tin in your alloy will begin to soften & melt at around ~ 450 degrees F.

I would not tend to recommend to do the powder coating shake and bake in the house due to the potential fumes and higher temperature baking needed... lest you tend to risk marital bliss, or other potential health issues...

Unfortunately the individual powder coated bullets should also be probably be setup to not touch each other less they bond themselves together in the PC shake & bake process... or stick to whatever they are laid on ... However that is not to discourage you or anyone else in any way from going in that direction ...  Maybe you can come up with a way to hang them by their GC shanks or potentially supported in some similar manner... You may also find that once you powder coat a non GC'ed GC bullet ... That the GC shanks may now be too big to fit on with any ease of application... Thus potentially causing the need for GC expansion prior to GC installation... to now fit those powder coated shanks ... Research & think the process through .... maybe installing the GCs before you powder coat, & final size.

I do sincerely wish you good luck in your endeavor in powder coating...

Actually Powder Coating potentially tends also to take the place of the normal Cu GC or the Al type GC for that matter. depending on how fast you intend to push the cast bullets...

So you see besides Trail Boss the PB versions can also be pushed a bit too when push comes to shove... Also there are now Al PB GCs that can be utilized too... to cover their little PB bottoms with Aluminum lithographic plate GC's ... which is actually softer & cheaper than the Copper GC's...

Take Care & Stay Safe...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:58:12 PM by Mike B. »

Sid

• Not my reload!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
Ordered my 4 cavity mold June 30th, received it July 2, Cast with it a couple of days later.

Dropped beautiful boolits with most dropping on opening the mold, the few that hung up in the mold just took a light tap to get them to release.

Some of the nicest boolits I've ever cast.

Spot on for size/weight.

Just have to get some loaded up and try them. Bought this for the Carcano, but I suspect I'll be trying them in the 6.5x55, the 6.5x53R and the 6.5x54 in addition to the 6.5x52.

Castpics and Reloader's Reference