Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: M1A Socom  (Read 1024 times)

Guy_From_Michigan

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
M1A Socom
« on: June 16, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
I finally picked up a M1A I have wanted one for years. I found a deal on one, its the short SOCOM version but I like it (purchased it a wood stock what can I say I like wood).

I want to shoot some powder coated cast lead out of it. I have 2 NOE moulds I am wanting to use. I have worked up a load for my 310-165-FN GC It shoots fine but its the only mould I have ever had problems with. I have to smack the handles at least 10 times for each drop on the left side. I have cleaned it and smoked it and have used it at least 10 times. It just will not break in.

I have another mould its a 314365 198gr SP it drops with my alloy at 204 grains. I was looking around the internet and I found a load people are using for the 1903 (God I would love to have one of those!) and they are using 16gr of 2400 powder. I loaded 2 up and first shot it through my Ruger American bolt gun (If I was going to blow up a gun I wanted to blow up a less expensive one) it shot fine and hit the steel target. I tried the second one in the M1A and it shot fine and hit the target but no function at all. The case has no pressure signs if fact the primer is round so I increased the powder charge twice in 2 grain increments. I stopped at 20 grains, still shot good hit the target but no function.

My question (I finally got to it, are you still awake?) does anyone have a load they have used in a semi auto for a 200 grain bullet in a 308 rifle that may allow me to shoot and function in my M1A ? This bullet mould is not gas checked so I do not want it going to fast, I would like it under 2000fps.

Thank you for any help you can send my way!

Castpics and Reloader's Reference