Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Anybody cast and shoot their DEWC's yet?  (Read 11343 times)

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
Anybody cast and shoot their DEWC's yet?
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Was curious if anybody had cast and shot some of their DEWC's yet.  I've been busy with family stuff, so I haven't had enough time to cast with all of them yet.  I did, however, cast a few with my .460 DEWC mold.  I'm thinking that @ about 175ish gr... I can fit 3 of them in my 45-70 case?  Might be fun with about 24ish gr. of 5744?

Intel6

• Like'n the Lead!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody cast and shoot their DEWC's yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »

There you go again doing fun stuff  :)

I have not tried them out yet because it is still too hot and humid here in SE AZ.  Going to let it cool off a bit before doing any casting. 

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:19:55 PM »

I have not tried them out yet because it is still too hot and humid here in SE AZ.  Going to let it cool off a bit before doing any casting.
Arizona gets humid?

Intel6

• Like'n the Lead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »

Arizona gets humid?

Yes it does during monsoon season down here in SE AZ which we are in now. It can be in the 90's and then like clockwork the clouds will roll in (we get storm systems come from the south which is Mexico since we are close to the border) at about 3 o'clock and dump massive amounts of water in short amounts of time. Since it comes so fast it doesn't drain off as fast and everything fills up, the streets are rivers etc...  Some seasons it rains like that almost everyday so lots of moisture and the heat is still there to cook it all off until it rains again so lots of hot humid days.     

strtspdlx

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
yeah ive loaded my 460-175, trying one crimped with the entire body in the case of 45-70. tried it with h322 and working on unique right now. its surprisingly accurate at 100 yards with h322, I just cant get a good powder burn, I'm wasting well over 60 percent of the powder. everytime I cycle one through the action it dumps half the unburnt powder in the chamber when I try to run the action. so ill start playing with pistol powders. I did try 10 grains of unique. no chrono data or any target hits, but I also popped it off just to see what primer and case looked like. case looks like it could use a little better seal and the primer is looking fine. so ill try to chrono these and see what I got and hopefully get something useful with unique or some other pistol powder.

cornmastah

• Administrator
  • Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
Yeah, I'd think Unique or Trailboss would work well for a nice light load, maybe even Red Dot.  I use 13gr of Unique behind a 405 gr bullet, so I'd think you'd need to go a little higher if you're not getting a good seal.

Squigie

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 02:32:29 AM »
Since there was no specificity in the original title, I must be obtuse:
Yes, I've shot some DEWCs!  They did great!
They were .313" diameter, however.  ;)

Yes, Arizona can be humid.
One of the more ironic aspects of living in the 'Desert West' is that Utah (my former home) has a lot of immigrants from Arizona. (Moving north to escape some of the heat, while maintaining what they believe to be the same climate.)  Most of said immigrants find themselves using massive amounts of hand/body lotion in Utah, as well as "moisturizing" hair products, because the humidity is so much lower in the Great Basin.

GregP42

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Lead thrower and .41 and .32-20 fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
I have cast up a bunch of the .411 ones. So far I have only shot them out of my .41 Special, and they did very well, not sure if I want to load them into the .41 Mag or not since they shoot so well in the Special.

Greg

Castpics and Reloader's Reference