Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: Natural Point of Aim --- A Primer  (Read 11894 times)

sgt.mike

• Grumpy Shooter
    • View Profile
Natural Point of Aim --- A Primer
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
The intention of this is to offer the information to equip average women and men with the fundamental skills and knowledge to become expert Rifle shots.
Natural Point of Aim in partnership with a good field position allows the shooter to deliver rapid, well aimed fire. For now, be patient and do not cut corners. You will only be cheating yourself. Once a proper position is built, the shooter has the foundation to good shooting. However, the concept of Natural Point of Aim must be understood to make full use of a proper position.
Natural Point of Aim is a concept that must be understood if one intends to master Rifleman-type shooting. Natural Point of Aim is the place where you and your rifle point naturally. Naturally means without muscle and a relaxed body. However, natural point of aim is not always on target. Therefore, you must shift your body / barrel/sights as one to align with the target.
To find your Natural Point Of Aim, in the prone get into position (actually any position this includes the bench with a rest or the standing it makes no difference)  and follow these steps:
1. Close your eyes
2. Relax your muscles
3. Breathe in, breathe out
4. Open your eyes
5. Shift if necessary
If you are completely relaxed, this will be your natural point of aim. Ninety-nine percent of the time you will not be on target. This is fine. Your body, must move in order to bring your sights on target. Do not use your arm muscles to move the sights onto the target.
Your support elbow stays planted. It does not move. Your support elbow is your pivot point. Do not move your elbow!
Instead, shift your hips. A slight shift in the hips is enough to change your natural point of aim. If you need to move your sights to the right, shift your hips left. This angles your body in point of aim that is closer to your target. A shift requires you to lift your hips off the ground and place them somewhere else. Typically a shift will only be a few inches. After you shift, remember to relax again.  Remember to repeat the steps above to validate you’re in the correct natural point of aim position.
Finding Natural Point of Aim recap
You lie down and get into the prone position. You lay down in the general direction of the target with your body angled approximately 30 degrees towards the trigger side of the target. However, you are not (at this point) concerned with exactly where the target resides.
You are in position. Now, RELAX! This means consciously think of your body parts. You relax your support hand, your support arm, bicep, shoulder, back, neck, trigger hand, everything. Then, you close your eyes. While they are closed, breathe in and breathe out. Open your eyes. Now, where is your front sight? Remember, 99% of the time it will not be on target. This is okay. If you are relaxed and in a stable position, your sights are pointing in their Natural Point of Aim.
Say actually, this time, your sights are below the target and to the right. No problem. You keep your support elbow planted as a pivot point and you shift your hips. This time, you shift your hips slightly to the left. This brings your Natural Point of Aim somewhere back right toward the target. Then, you shift your hips back a little. This will raise your Natural Point of Aim. Now, go through the Natural Point of Aim test steps again.
1. Close your eyes
2. Relax your muscles
3. Breathe in, Breathe out
4. Open your eyes
5. Shift if necessary
This time, my front sight is still below and too far left. I must not have shifted for enough elevation and too much wind age. So, I shift my hips back a tiny bit to raise my front sight. If shift my hips right a little bit to bring my front sight back to the right. I go through the Natural Point of Aim test steps again, and finally, I am on my target. My target sits just on top of my front sight since I am using the Six O’ Clock hold. I breathe in and watch my front sight dip below the target. I breathe out and watch my sight raise right back to my Six O’ Clock hold.
At first you will need to shift many times before your natural point of aim is on target. This is okay. Over time and with practice you will not need to shift as many times as you develop the skill.
Remember I will say this again.  For now, be patient and do not cut corners. You will only be cheating yourself.
While I have used the prone position to demonstrate Natural Point of Aim do not close your mind here. These steps and methods are used in all positions. Standing sitting kneeling and the bench rest positions it make no difference if we are talking hunting, or target shooting these are the basics that are built excellence in marksmanship are built upon.

Those whom truly know and have met me know these simple things are what I preach and teach our defenders of freedom. Majority of the text above was from:
https://becomingriflemen.wordpress.com/  I however did edit and cut a majority of that document into smaller size pieces for easier digest of the reader.
Hopefully these have helped each of you Thank You for your time and attention.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:47:57 PM by sgt.mike »

bjornb

• 1000 Dollar Club
  • Grouper
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Point of Aim --- A Primer
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
Another home run sarge. Classic and very helpful.

DR Owl Creek

• 1000 Dollar Club
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Point of Aim --- A Primer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »
Sarge,

It certainly is another great post. Thanks again.

Dave

Castpics and Reloader's Reference