Be Sure to visit the store to see whats new

Author Topic: 269-163-RN-W6  (Read 12280 times)

Schofield

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
269-163-RN-W6
« on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
Have a carcano that I would like to run these through. Anyone else interested?

Mike B.

• Cast Bullet Shooter - NRA Benefactor - $1000 Club
    • View Profile
Re: 269-163-RN-W6
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
It's a good mould design...

I believe that I may have bought the last mould that NOE had in stock back in November of 20.
My Swedish Mauser tends to like it... as an alternative for jacketed bullets in that caliber weight.

Unfortunately old Mother Hubbards Cupboard, is now apparently bare...
With the COVID mandates & apparent work restriction limitations in the area... it may be a while yet before the different cupboard shelves are filled up once again.

I do sincerely wish you luck in getting at least 4 more individuals to say that they want one... as it takes at least five requests to apparently put the mould design into consideration for  another production run on this mould design.

Take Care & Stay Safe...

Schofield

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »
Thanks for your well wishes. The options available for a 6.5 bullet that can work in a carcano are pretty bare atm. Hopefully with the import of carcano recently others will be interested in molds as well. Better to get the request in now and wait to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

I'd like to try this in my swedish mauser as well, never thought about it until you mentioned.

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
Thought that the 6.5 Swedish Mauser reference might help.

The odds are at the moment that there are a lot more of the 6.5's out there... hungry to be fed... along with the Italian 6.5's ... that might have a need for that cast bullet design.

Hopefully there will also be some 6.5 x 55 Swedes wanting to join the pack... looking to belly up to the table... to be fed along with the Italian 6.5, that you mentioned, including the 6.5 x 50 Japanese Arisaka.

Might as well invite everyone one with an appropriate 6.5 caliber design... to the table... who's rifle might tend to show a dietary preference for a 160 + Grain bullet buffet... due to that particular 6.5 caliber design bullet weight appetite.

Take Care & Stay Safe...

OGC4

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
I will order one  :), any other 6.5 carcano molds recommended?
Thanks

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:58 AM »
I believe that is two of you that now are looking to ask for a new production run on this 6.5 MM 163 Gr RN.
You only need three more, & the forum moderator to note the I want requests to get the mould to be considered for a new production run.
BTW I tend to believe that you need to specify GC or PB and the number of cavities that you are looking to purchase...
Also if you are planning to push these cast faster than 1600 FPS, or PB if you intend to stay below that FPS limit... with traditional lube.
With powder coat that is another story all together.

Take Care, & Stay Safe...

TinCan

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »
I need to get my own Carcano slugged to make sure this is the right mold but besides that I'm willing to order this. Two more people to goooo

Edit: Also most likely looking for the GC version in any cavity amount.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:26:42 PM by TinCan »

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 08:18:15 AM »
Have a carcano that I would like to run these through. Anyone else interested?

Yes, I am!  I just got an 1891 Carcano rifle yesterday and ammo for this is nearly unobtanium.  I had to pay a really high price to get a set of dies and I found some brass but bullets and molds I have struck out on so far.

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »
For all you new 6.5 Italian owners out there attached is the QuickDesign intel on your cartridge that you most probably will not have found on the internet... I plan to post this also on the other 6.5 offering if you are trying to raise support for a new mould run to fill the empty bins.
Remember if you are new to the forum & sign on with a request to purchase a mold to follow through with your request to purchase a mould down the line.

NOTE: I have QuickDesign and can basically do the same for you other 6.5 enthusiasts that QuickDesign has in its data inventory... in my opinion having Cartridge & Chamber intel is an important tool for doing your homework for your feeding your new acquisitions properly... what ever the caliber...

The website will unfortunately not allow me to post the full cartridge and chamber intel as it appears that the file is too large for the website to handle as an attachment...

It is what it is...
Enjoy.
Take Care, & Stay Safe
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:45:44 PM by Mike B. »

Schofield

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »
I would be looking for GC as well as many cavities as I can have. I'll settle for anything 2 and above. Glad to see we have interest in this mold, hopefully we can get one more interested person to get a run together.

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »
I would be looking for GC as well as many cavities as I can have. I'll settle for anything 2 and above. Glad to see we have interest in this mold, hopefully we can get one more interested person to get a run together.

I would be OK with GC or FB, and any number of cavities.  I just need something that makes suitable size bullets for a 6.5x52 Carcano.  The long round nose shape of the bullets from this mold design look like they would be well suited to my 1891 Carcano rifle.  I don't plan on loading hot, so > 1600fps isn't required, but GC would give me the option of going a little more than that if I wanted.  The larger number of cavities would reduce the work, so that's cool.  I'm good with Schofield's request.

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 08:34:43 PM »

I would be OK with GC or FB, and any number of cavities.  I just need something that makes suitable size bullets for a 6.5x52 Carcano.  The long round nose shape of the bullets from this mold design look like they would be well suited to my 1891 Carcano rifle.  I don't plan on loading hot, so > 1600fps isn't required, but GC would give me the option of going a little more than that if I wanted.  The larger number of cavities would reduce the work, so that's cool.  I'm good with Schofield's request.

A few questions...

One is can I use a bullet cast from the GC mold w/o a gas check?  Right now I can't find any 6.5mm gas checks in stock anywhere.  I'm assuming I can, just that w/o the check I will need to load below 1600fps.

Secondly, what else do I need besides the mold?  Handles?  Some kind of melting pot? Ladle?  Where to order lead and what kind is best to use?  I may be asking on the wrong place, my apologies if so.

Third --  do I need to place an advance order for one of these to get this process going?  What do I need to do?

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:12 PM »
One is can I use a bullet cast from the GC mold w/o a gas check?  Right now I can't find any 6.5mm gas checks in stock anywhere.  I'm assuming I can, just that w/o the check I will need to load below 1600fps.
Secondly, what else do I need besides the mold?  Handles?  Some kind of melting pot? Ladle?  Where to order lead and what kind is best to use?  I may be asking on the wrong place, my apologies if so.
Third --  do I need to place an advance order for one of these to get this process going?  What do I need to do?

One could potentially assume that the cast bullet if held below 1600 FPS would basically act as a boat tailed bullet... that is with traditional lubes. Those lubes would have to be subsequently cleaned off of a traditional cast bullet... or the lube would react with the powder, & tend to cause misfires... With Powder Coat the non GC'ed GC cast bullet would tend to act more like a jacketed bullet...  make sure that your cast bullet shanks are completely filled and not rounded, or you will not be at all happy with the accuracy...

Your call on that...

Handles. Yes, you will need mould handles... unless you intend to invest in an automatic casting machine... Then you will need the appropriate adapters for that automatic casting machine...
NOE does make handles. Where NOE is allowing back orders placing them will most probably help in getting your product in the production line sooner than later... It is basically the same as the what you want to see rerun... If you stay silent and only look on in the hope that the bucket or in this case the bin will magically fill then you may have a long wait coming...

Here is the link to that NOE web page in regard to mould handles...

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/mould-handles/mould-handles/

Your call on that...
A ladle too to help stir the pot to make sure that if you are using a lead alloy that the tin has not risen to the top and needs to be fluxed back into the mix... even for pure lead it can come in handy

I tend to have several pots setup with different alloys to pour either pure lead or an alloy depending on my need for a particular cast product... and purpose...

Before we have a discussion over bottom pour pots vs ladle pour pots... Please let me say this...

Any of the commercial bottom pour lead pots that are out there will do the job nicely.  Personally I like a good bottom pour pot as it can be made to act like a giant ladle...
So one gets the best of both worlds depending on whether you end up putting the mould on a mould guide & pouring from a short distance or end up putting the mould up against the bottom pour spout and use the lead pot as a giant ladle to try to help fill out the bottom edge of the casting that is just under the sprue plate...

Lee makes a good product...  The size of a bottom pour lead pot will basically be determined on how many cast bullets that you want to make at one sitting and how often you plan to fill the lead pot with ingots...
A whole lot depends on what you financial situation is, & how many bells and whistles your pocket book can afford...

If you get the drip drip syndrome just adjust the screw on the pot to make the pour a tiny bit slower...

I also tend to put one of my ingot moulds under the mould guide to catch any of those slower frequency drips...

Back when I started casting decades ago my wallet was not as fat as it currently is now... So one had to make due with what one could afford and then get modified as needed as the need arose...

Mine have basically never worn out so again the lead pot controversy is really what ever floats your boat and that you feel makes good product...

Your call on that...

As far as lead goes that is really an individual preference... there are a lot of sources for cast lead out here still available either pure or almost pure if you intend to go with HPs and push them properly to get them to expand, or with a harder lead alloy... if that tends to better float you boat... & you in the future might have a non HP mould design... that you might wish to push a lot harder down the line... in the future...

I would add an ingot mold or two to your wish list... as the lead product that you will purchase will most probably be in larger and heavier cast bullet weights... You may find that having your chosen alloy or alloy types in one pound ingots will be handier down the line when you have to replenish your hungry pots lead appetite.

Your call on that...

Be aware that with pure lead... your final cast product will end up weighing more than the NOE cast weight that is listed on the NOE bullet sketches. With pure lead it will also be a tiny bit smaller in diameter as pure lead not having the tin will tend to shrink more as it cools... than a tin alloyed lead product will...

Conversely... a lead alloy that contains tin will be slightly lighter in final cast bullet weight and will be a bit larger in diameter as tin tends to weigh less than lead and also tends to shrink less when mixed as a lead alloy... As Archimedes found out when he sat in down in his bath tub... It will also make a harder cast bullet...

Finally powder coat does tend to add a bit of thickness to the end product while traditional lubes do not...
So the choice of cast bullet mould diameters might need to be taken into consideration when choosing a mould design... Also do your homework on your cartridge's freebore design...

Remember that the traditional mould designs that have been copied were originally designed when powder coat was not even a glimmer in the mould casters eye... & traditional lubes were the only game in town.

Smokeless powder was just beginning to become available to the civilian market...  a lot of the original cast bullets and cartridges were named so that the civilians who reloaded, & only had holy black would know how much of that available product would be needed... 30-30 was an example of that... There are a whole lot of other cartridges that evolved in that time period... that were so named... So take the time to explore the history of the cartridges that you currently intend to reload and of those that you are considering down the line...

Enough said before each one of your questions sparks a controversy over each of the process steps...  which tend to be nearest and dearest in each cast bullet makers heart...

No one is right or wrong... It basically will tend to work out for you that which ever process you feel makes the best product will be the one that you finally settle on for that particular bullet mould...

Each of your questions is an article or a complete, & lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of each step in the process depending on the individual who found what worked in that individuals case...

Nuff Said... Take Care & Stay Safe...

Mike B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »
Not that it matters...  but I found at least 4000 of the 6.5 mm GCs currently available at one of the GC manufacturers that I know & have dealt with in the past. This AM...
I just typed in 6.5 mm GC for sale on the general search page, & first source at the top of the page had ~ 4000 in stock at that instant in time...
Just thought that you all should know... Personally I would rather have the GC's on a GC cast bullet version... than not... rather than try to make boat tails - minus those GCs.... Otherwise if I was just beginning... to cast for a given cartridge...
I would... down the line... save up & look to buy a PB version, or purchase another GC, if it was to become available... & then have it made into a PB... by a machinist that I trusted to do the work...
But then that is just me...

Your call on that... Take Care, & Stay Safe...

softwarejanitor

• Noe Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 10:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Very helpful!

Castpics and Reloader's Reference