First run with my 217-24-RF

Home › Forums › NOE Forums › NOE Archive › Historical Archive › Using NOE Moulds › Air Guns › First run with my 217-24-RF

  • This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #489759
    larrynufer
    Participant
      Up
      0
      Down
      ::

      The first thing I did was wash the mold in dish soap, rinse in hot water and dry quickly as possible.  I adjusted the pins to where I though they would work the best however one of them did loosen up just a tad when I checked the mold after letting it cool down.  Out of three hundred cast approximately I only rejected about 70 of them because of the flash mainly.  I did a quick scope adjustment on the terrible scope that I have on my DAR22 (my latest gun purchase), it’s a Centerpoint which are about the bottom of the line for scopes that says 3-9X but anything above 3 gets worse the more you zoom.  I did zero it in at 20 yards on 3X before I went to the state land to really try these pellets out.  I did get a silver dollar sized group on 3X at 40 yards with it which I consider just fine.  I then headed to a good red squirrel spot and got a nice head shot kinda just behind the ear of a red squirrel which dropped him right where she was but need another shot to the rear of her head to really put her down.
      The first clip of the video was shot with my DAR177.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGctp1VH1WI

      Most all of the pellets were very close to 23 grains and look really good.  Al I think you hit a home run with this mold because they even seem to shoot better than the H&N’s I tried in the gun previously which were 21 grain.

      44623088871_5cf612ae1c_b.jpg

      I also was getting some whiskers on the air channels in the mold but running the mold a little cooler gets rid of them. The mold never really gets hot enough to warp the way that I make them with the spout of my enclosed ladle that fits perfectly into the sprue plate, I then do a 90 degree tilt back and forth and the skirts come out perfect.

      At the present tune I’m getting about 860fps with them and I think they’d be happy at 900fps too, for those of you with the Mrods in .22 this pellet will probably shoot really good out of them too.

    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
    • #511196
      rsterne
      Participant
        Up
        0
        Down
        ::

        Those are really beautiful, Wayne…. Glad to hear they shoot, too….  8)

        Bob

        #511197
        larrynufer
        Participant
          Up
          0
          Down
          ::

          Thanks Bob !!! I went back to the state land shooting them in my Prod today and got four red squirrels with it.  I’m super happy with the Magnum Hunters, I’m thinking these pellets are more accurate than the 25.39 grain JSB’s and the way my gun is adjusted the JSB18.13’s are probably too light.  I had to adjust the scope because the cast pellets shot a little high and to the right compared to the JSB’s but once I adjusted it, it’s right on the money every shot.  It helps to have a decent scope for the long shots.

          29725696587_8ca1d44a9f_b.jpg

          here’s the video    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90X-fsiHFh4

          #511198
          rsterne
          Participant
            Up
            0
            Down
            ::

            Nice shooting, Wayne…. Looks like those Magnum Hunters are dropping them DRT….  8)

            Bob

            #511199
            michaellovett
              Up
              0
              Down
              ::

              Looks like you’re really on to something with these Wayne! congrats!!! 8)

              Knife

              #511200
              larrynufer
              Participant
                Up
                0
                Down
                ::

                Thanks Bob and Knife !!! I just ordered the .25 hunter with the 20% discount, I would have gotten the .22 hunters but they’re not in the store yet.  Oh well I’ll still get one eventually,  I see they sold a few more of the Magnum Hunter .22’s though.

              Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.